Loading...  Loading... Please wait...

Advanced Search | Search Tips


Follow GiantTeddy

Our Newsletter


Welcome to the Giant Teddy Blog!

St. Patrick's Day Trivia with Giant Teddy Willy Shags

Wednesday, March 12, 2014


Who Can Resist a Big Green Teddy Bear?

He's charming and fun, and fluffy and green, a huggable big bear. And at this time of year, when all things green become just a little more important and special our resident Giant Green Teddy Bear Willy Shags has a lot of fun with St. Patrick's Day!

Be sure you check out our Giant Teddy Pinterest St. Patrick's Day board for some of his favorite food, drinks, games, crafts and bears!

Here is some of Willy's favorite Irish Trivia, just for you:

"You're Full of Blarney" means you have the ability to weave a pretty tale, talk about anything, and flatter people senseless!

"Kiss the Blarney Stone" is how you actually get to BE full of Blarney! There is a stone from the Castle Blarney in Ireland and legend says if you kiss it, you are gifted with luck and the silver tongue to say anything.

"Kiss Me I'm Irish" ... for those who can't get to Ireland, legend states that kissing an Irish person is the next best lucky thing.

"St. Patrick" wasn't even Irish - GASP! He was British. He was born in Scotland around the year 385.

"Shamrocks" are associated with St. Patrick's Day because Saint Patrick used the Shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost) to the people of Ireland.

"St. Patrick's Mom & Dad" were Calpurnius and Conchessa, Romans living in Britain.

"Luck of the Irish" is a phrase that came from the number of Irish people who had luck in the gold and silver mines and struck it rich.

"Wearing of the Green" this relates to a lot of ideas, including that fact that Spring starts right around St. Patrick's Day (which is of course March 17th) and Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle for the lush green of the countryside. And of course, shamrocks are green! The flag also has green as one of the colors.

"St. Patrick's Day Parades" according to history and legend started here in America... some say there was a small one in Boston around 1737 and some say it was more official when Irish soldiers fighting in the Revolutionary War held one on March 17th around 1766.

"Pinch Me" for not wearing green. Irish people thought wearing green made them invisible to leprechauns, little fairy creatures who would pinch anyone they could see.

and speaking of them...

"Leprechauns" who were fairy creatures usually shown as little old men with beards and specific hats and coats who liked to cause mischief, made shoes, and kept all their gold in a pot at the end of the rainbow. If captured they have to grant 3 wishes to be released.

"Turn the river green" started in Chicago in 1962 when they dyed the river green for the first time on St. Patrick's Day and have ever since.

Visit all of our amazing St. Patrick's Day teddy bears on Giant Teddy's website or make your very own with a Personalized T-Shirt from our gallery - you can put any of our shirts on any bear we sell on GiantTeddy.com.





22 Comments:

At March 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This one is my favorite! I never knew that one at all! "Pinch Me" for not wearing green. Irish people thought wearing green made them invisible to leprechauns, little fairy creatures who would pinch anyone they could see.

and speaking of them...

 
At March 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM , Blogger Nyeasia said...

I've heard of the Blarney Stone and what you are supposed to do but I did not know there is a castle!! ' "Kiss the Blarney Stone" is how you actually get to BE full of Blarney! There is a stone from the Castle Blarney in Ireland and legend says if you kiss it, you are gifted with luck and the silver tongue to say anything.'

 
At March 13, 2014 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Karen said...

I grew up in Chicago Illinois. My dad was Irish. I never heard of being pinched for not wearing green on St Patricks Day until I moved to Indiana! It was great to hear where it came from!

 
At March 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Barbara Mayes said...

I love the Kiss Me I'm Irish trivia..kissing an Irish person is the next best thing for luck next to kissing the Blarney Stone! Fun! I just happen to know of an Irishman that I can kiss for luck. He is a newlywed now, hope his new wife won't mind!

 
At March 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Bear Blogger said...

BE SURE WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE ON FACEBOOK so we can count your second chance to be lucky!

 
At March 13, 2014 at 9:25 AM , Blogger BooBoo6968 said...

i AM IRISH, AND EVERY YEAR IT'S ATRADITION IN MY FAMILY, WE HAVE IRISH SOUP WHICH IS POTATOES, WE HAVE ARE OWN LITTLE BLARNEY STONE WE KISS FOR LUCK, AND WE WEAR ALL GREEN, THIS BEAR IS SO ME SINCE I AM IRISH!!!!

 
At March 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM , Blogger BooBoo6968 said...

it's also a tradition in my family to always attend the St. Patricks day parade, we all wear green, and we even dye my dog green...LOL so talk about Irish tradition!!!

 
At March 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this one - "Shamrocks" are associated with St. Patrick's Day because Saint Patrick used the Shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost) to the people of Ireland.
It's nice that even with all the fun and silly things that most holidays now days are wrapped around that there can still be a way to show a little Christian fun in it as well.

 
At March 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love leprechauns because my closest oldest friend is petrified on the evil leprechaun from the movies and I think that's hiliarious!

 
At March 13, 2014 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Janice said...

Kiss me I'm Irish, this is my favorite because in High School there was an Irish guy who always used this one on the ladies telling them it would bring them luck.. LOL he actually got quite a few kisses this way.

 
At March 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Mo said...

I would love to win this for my daughter. We love wearing green, my favorite is pinch me for not wearing green. Happy St. Patrick's Day

 
At March 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM , Blogger tat2gurlzrock said...

Pinch me is my favorite! I didn't know there was a reason behind that (besides pinching for no green)
Dana Rodriguez

 
At March 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm Irish! Every year we have corn beef and cabbage.

 
At March 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Pinch me and Shamrocks are my second and third favorite St. Patrick's/Green things... Willy is my 1st! Amy Angel

 
At March 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Kiss me is my favourite

 
At March 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM , Blogger HedgeHogi said...

Pinch me is my favorite. I have always heard don't forget to wear green or you will get pinched and the leprechauns will get you!

My Facebook name is Tearsa D Keith

alholm.co at gmail dot com

 
At March 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

love the "Kiss the Blarney Stone" is how you actually get to BE full of Blarney! There is a stone from the Castle Blarney in Ireland and legend says if you kiss it, you are gifted with luck and the silver tongue to say anything.

 
At March 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this idea with the teddy bear. I didn't know all the facts about St Patty's Day that was listed here. Thank you for that info! My granddaughter middle name is Clover, so this bear would be perfect! FB name is Eurma Thomas

 
At March 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Bear Blogger said...

Willy Shags is so excited... tomorrow is the big day, St. Patrick's Day! And he is so glad so many of you are having fun reading his Irish Trivia : ) Thank you all for having fun with Giant Teddy - we love to interact with our customers and friends!

 
At March 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM , Blogger BooBoo6968 said...

I REMEMBER LEAVING HUGE BRUISES ON MY FRIENDS ARMS FOR NOT WEARING GREEN ON ST. PATRICKS DAY..LOL

 
At March 17, 2014 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

My favorite is your full of blarney

 
At March 17, 2014 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Adrienne said...

My fave is kiss the blarney stone..I knew you kissed it but didn't know why

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home